Boulevard Oaks Remodel – Whole House
This Boulevard Oaks remodel project is a 2017 Houston’s Best Prism Award winner and a Texas Association of Builders 2017 Star Awards Finalist in the category of Remodeler – Whole House Renovation -$250K – $500K.
The owners wanted a separate master suite and reconfiguration of their first floor to improve function. An existing garage and patio was demolished, a 2 story garage was constructed to create a master suite accessible by a walkway connecting the main house to the 2nd story master. Interior renovations included kitchen reconfiguration and remodel, 2 full baths, one half bath, laundry/utility room, dining room new fireplace in family room, and pool cabana room. The exterior remodel included removal of stucco over brick façade, skim coating and repainting of brick and a new front porch covered entrance and all windows were replaced.
Additional features of this project:
- The homes exterior was updated to make it more modern. We removed the stucco on the exterior of the home that was originally placed over brick. The brick was then repaired and painted. A new front porch was built with metal roof new columns and tile. A mahogany front door and gas lamp sconces were also added.
- New master suite includes a walk in closet with shelving and cabinetry. The huge master bath has a free standing garden tub, double vanity, large frameless glass shower with rain head and double showerheads, linear drain, marble tile and glass shelving for storage.
- The kitchen was reconfigured. An open wall was closed off to the dining room while another wall was opened up into the family room. Existing cabinets were painted, an island was rebuilt, new marble countertops were installed and custom cabinets were added on a wall for more storage as well as a bench coat/shoe rack.
- A new direct vent sealed gas log fireplace replaces an existing outdated wood burning fireplace. A reclaimed wood log was used for the mantel. The fireplace surround is marble tile and shiplap was installed above. This remodel really made the fireplace a modern focal point with lots of character.
- French doors with sidelights were installed between the dining and the living room which allows for privacy while still allowing lots of light in. Dining room has a custom bar area with beverage refrigerator and plenty of storage.
- A cantilevered walkway connecting the main house to the second story addition above the garage was built.
- The outside wall of the family room was removed and built in by several feet reducing the size of the room to create a covered porch area.
- Under the cantilevered walkway on the ceiling, dark stained bead board was installed, also on the ceiling of the new covered patio. This unique feature gives a traditional and elegant look to the outdoor space. It also ties in well with the new horizontal dark wood garage doors.
- The original master bath in the main part of the house was reconfigured into 2 full baths with shower/tub combos and marble tile. In addition 2 closets were created. Another bathroom was refreshed and a powder room was remodeled and features a unique hammered stainless steel sink.
- The size of an existing laundry room on the second floor of the main house was doubled. This was accomplished by taking over a nearby bathroom space. The result is a full length utility/laundry room with sink.